The following is a step by step process on how to create a new Microsoft account and access to an otherwise private SharePoint site.
- In your web browser, ensure no other MS accounts are logged in during the browser session, and then navigate to https://signup.live.com/, where you see a page, similar to below. Click on the link to Sign up now.
- You will now see the Create an account webpage. Make sure you use your work email, when prompted
- Now, you need to verify the new account. Go to your work email inbox, and click the link in the email to verify the new MS Live account.
- Clicking the verify link will bring you back to the login page. Login using the account credentials you setup for the MS Live account, and your verification will be complete.
- Once verified, go back to your work email inbox and find the invitation email to access the SharePoint site, which looks similar to below. Click on the link Go to [SharePoint Site Name].
- You will now be back at another MS login page. Use your new account credentials to login, but you need to ensure you’re logging in as an Individual account vs. an Organizational account. You may see the following screen.
- You should now have access to the SharePoint site collection with whatever permissions granted to you by the invitee.